St. Lawrence Elementary School
A. Nutritional Education
- Saint Lawrence School will implement the health objectives relating to diet, nutrition, and exercise as stated in the most recent Archdiocesan Graded Course of Study for Science and Health in grades K-6.
- Programs relating to proper nutrition, tobacco education, and drug/alcohol education will also be presented to the seventh and eighth grade students as an extension of their basic curriculum.
- Appropriate materials, reminders, and programs will be prepared and presented to parents regarding proper nutrition, appropriate in-school snacks and lunches, and encouragement for each child to eat a healthy breakfast each morning.
- Nutrition guidelines, food pyramid charts, suggestions for healthy food choices, and other messages related to health and nutrition will be posted in the school cafeteria.
- Each student’s amount of seated eating time in the cafeteria will be twenty (20) minutes per day to allow for sufficient time to eat a lunch.
B. Physical Activity
- All students will participate in the school’s physical education program.
- Physical education programs will implement the objectives of the most recent Archdiocesan Graded Course of Study for Physical Education.
- Teachers will be encouraged to integrate physical activities into the class time (stretch breaks, activities which involve movement).
- All students will have access to recess according to the school’s schedule.
- Discipline will be administered in ways other than depriving a student of physical education class.
- Families will be encouraged to participate in parish and community sports programs, and to be physically active outside of school.
C. Other School-Based Activities
- The St. Lawrence School staff will be encouraged to use non-food items or healthy food items for student rewards.
- St. Lawrence School encourages teachers and parents to provide healthy snacks and to minimize sugary treats for classroom celebrations.
- Hand washing equipment and supplies are available in each restroom, and students will wash their hands before coming to the cafeteria to eat lunch.
- Fully operational and clean drinking fountains will be available throughout the school.
- St. Lawrence School will provide parent education on nutrition and benefits of physical activity through newsletters and parents meetings.
- Snacks which are sold after school will include a choice of healthy alternative snacks and beverages.
- Students will be provided with nutrition information about after-school snacks to help them make better choices.
D. Nutritional Guidelines for All Foods Available in School During the School Day
- The school lunch and breakfast program will follow the nutritional guidelines established by the Ohio Department of Education, Office of Child Nutrition Services.
- Candy and soda pop will not be allowed in the cafeteria, even in packed lunches.
E. Guidelines for Reimbursable School Meals
- St. Lawrence School will continue to follow state and federal guidelines for school lunch and breakfast programs.
F. Plan for Measuring the Implementation of the St. Lawrence School Wellness Policy
- St. Lawrence School will establish a Wellness Committee consisting of parent, administration, school nurse, teacher, cafeteria manager, and the public to implement and monitor the St. Lawrence School Wellness Policy.
- The St. Lawrence School Wellness Committee will meet a minimum of two times per calendar year to implement and monitor the St. Lawrence School Wellness Policy and make periodic reports to the St. Lawrence Education Commission.
St. Lawrence Parish © 2005-2016.
All rights reserved.
1020 Carson Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45205